The NRF-DAAD In-Country Scholarship program offers funding opportunities for South African citizens or permanent residents pursuing Master or Ph.D. degrees at South African universities. In collaboration with the National Research Foundation (NRF) in South Africa, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) provides financial support and additional benefits to enhance the academic experience and research opportunities for scholarship recipients.
Eligibility and Requirements:
To be eligible for the NRF-DAAD In-Country Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Citizenship or Residency: Applicants must hold South African citizenship or have permanent residency in South Africa.
- Program of Study: The scholarship is open to full-time Master’s or Ph.D. students in all fields of study at any South African university.
- Age Limit: Applicants for Master’s programs should be 30 years of age or younger, while applicants for Ph.D. programs should be 32 years of age or younger at the time of application.
- Academic Requirement: The NRF sets a minimum academic requirement of 65% for postgraduate funding.
Benefits of the Scholarship:
- Financial Support: Scholarship recipients receive funding for their full-time Master’s or Ph.D. degree program in South Africa, easing the financial burden of their studies.
- Short-term Research Stay in Germany: Scholarship holders have the opportunity to apply for a short-term research stay in Germany. This experience allows students to collaborate with researchers and institutions, gain exposure to new methodologies, and establish international research networks. More information is available in the NRF-DAAD Short-term Stay Germany Leaflet.
- Interdisciplinary Summer Schools in Germany: During their funding period, scholarship holders can apply to participate in interdisciplinary summer schools held in Germany. These programs provide valuable training, knowledge exchange, and networking opportunities. The following summer schools are available:
- University of Frankfurt: Environmental and Remote Sensing Data Analysis via Geospatial Technologies in Research and Teaching (27th August – 18th September 2023)
- Hamburg University of Applied Sciences (HAW Hamburg): Education and Research Orientated Training in Health Sciences (1st August – 31st August 2023)
- Heidelberg University: Enhancing Academic Qualifications in Teaching and Research in Global Health (8th August – 31st August 2023)
- University of Applied Sciences Cologne (TH Köln): Climate Change Adaptation: Risk Assessment and Design of Interventions (CC-Adapt) (12th August – 3rd September 2023)
- University of Leipzig: Innovators, Doers, and Entrepreneurs [at] summer school (IDEAS) (3rd – 24th September; Virtual Conference: 26th – 30th June, 24th – 28th July, 18th – 20th October 2023)
Application Process and Deadlines:
To apply for the NRF-DAAD In-Country Scholarship, follow these steps:
- Access the NRF Postgraduate Scholarships Call for funding in 2024, including closing dates, through NRF Postgraduate Scholarships Call for 2024.
- Within the NRF Connect system, select the First-time doctoral scholarship application template.
- Choose the ‘NRF-DAAD’ scholarship option when applying.
For detailed guidance on completing the application, refer to the Application and Funding Guide document available through this link: Application and Funding Guide
The NRF-DAAD In-Country Scholarship is an excellent opportunity for South African citizens or permanent residents to pursue their Master’s or Ph.D. degrees in South Africa. This scholarship program, a collaboration between the NRF and DAAD, provides financial support and additional benefits such as short-term research stays in Germany and participation in interdisciplinary summer schools. If you meet the eligibility criteria, seize this chance to embark on a rewarding academic journey with the NRF-DAAD In-Country Scholarship.
(Note: The information provided in this blog post is accurate as of the time of writing. For the most up-to-date details, please refer to the provided links and official scholarship sources.)