Set Up the Perfect Business Email for Your Shopify Store
As an online retailer, your business email represents your brand and is often the first impression customers have of you. It’s important to choose an email address that looks professional yet is still easy to manage.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll show you how to set up the optimal business email address for your Shopify store. We’ll cover domain registration, hosting, and setup through major email providers like Gmail and Outlook.
By the end, you’ll feel confident creating an email that boosts your legitimacy and helps customers contact you seamlessly. Let’s get started!
Why Use a Dedicated Business Email?
Before choosing a provider, understand the benefits of investing in a business email:
- Credibility – Shows you mean business versus a personal @gmail address.
- Professionalism – Sends the message that you’re a real company customers can trust.
- Organization – Keeps communications separate from personal emails.
- Control – You own the domain and aren’t at the mercy of a third-party provider.
A custom domain with Intelligent routing optimizes communication. Let’s look at options.
Choosing an Email Provider
The top choices are:
Use Mailbox with Custom Domain
Add email to your existing Shopify site for a professional look. Requires domain hosting elsewhere.
Buy a Domain and Host It Yourself
Cheap long-term but you manage hosting, security, downtime yourself.
Go with G Suite or Microsoft 365
Full Office apps plus email starting at $6/user/month. Simple one-stop solution.
Outlook.com or iCloud Business Email
Free inbox tied to your domain. Limited features versus paid plans.
Consider cost, support, apps, storage limits to select the right option for your needs and budget.
Setting Up a Custom Domain Email
With your domain registered, follow these general steps:
- Login to domain registrar to manage DNS records
- Point MX and other required records to your email provider
- Log into email provider to set up your accounts
- Add domain and verify you own it
- Create emails like firstname.lastname@example.org
- Redirect old emails to new address
Most take 24-48 hours to propagate fully. Test before switching over contacts.
Automating Email on Shopify
Let’s configure its built-in email capabilities:
- Order notifications: Customize templates customers receive on purchase.
- Abandoned cart: Remind guests to finish checkout after leaving cart.
- Marketing communications: Send automated newsletters, promotions.
- Customer service: Enable Contact or Helpcenter forms.
- Business management: Get reports, analytics on emails sent.
With automated sequences, you can boost sales while staying organized.
Integrating Third-Party Email Tools
Popular email integrations worth exploring:
Mailchimp: Send targeted campaigns, track opens/clicks in a customizable interface.
Drip: Automate multi-step email journeys and onboarding sequences based on customer behaviors.
Constant Contact: Robust templates for professional emails across devices easily.
Klaviyo: Real-time personalization and AI to send the right message to the right person seamlessly.
SendGrid: Programmatic API helps developers build custom email features.
New tools emerge constantly, so research options fitting your budget and needs.
Setting Email Etiquette Standards
With systems in place, reinforce brand impressions through standards:
- Signature: Include all relevant contact details consistently.
- Salutations: Address customers by name for personal touch when possible.
- Tone: Adopt a friendly, helpful and non-pushy communication style.
- Formatting: Use headers, bullet lists for readability across devices and mail clients.
- Frequency: Limit marketing emails and automations to 1-2 times weekly maximum.
- Responsiveness: Aim to respond to all inquiries within one business day.
Consistency and quality customer service starts with each email sent.
Common Email Challenges
Anticipate issues and protect your systems:
- Spam complaints: Use IP warming and DMARC to avoid spam filters.
- Deliverability: Continuously test sending to real and random inboxes.
- Bounces: Track and remove invalid/closed contacts from your lists.
- Abuse reports: Monitor inbox for signs of hacking and always use strong, unique passwords.
- Security: Enable 2-factor authentication and keep software up to date.
Be proactive about deliverability via IP warming. React quickly to any red flags like abuse.
With dedicated business email best practices in place, you’re set up to facilitate seamless customer communications effectively. By automating sales and support sequences on Shopify, you engage buyers along their journey in a personalized way.
With the right provider, domains and integrations selected, your email becomes a powerful sales tool. Just remember to protect your reputation through consistent branding, security vigilance and going the extra mile in every customer interaction you facilitate.