Scholarships for Army Spouses: Resources to Pursue Your Education Goals
As families move across the country to support military careers, spouses often put their own lives on hold. But scholarship programs recognize the unique challenges army families face and want to help spouses further their education despite changing circumstances.
In this guide, we’ll explore the range of financial aid opportunities available just for military spouses like you. By the end, you’ll feel empowered to seek scholarships tailored to your specific situation and goals. Let’s get started exploring your options!
Why Pursue an Army Spouse Scholarship?
Juggling family responsibilities while supporting a service member’s career comes with personal sacrifices. Scholarships aim to:
- Lessen financial burdens so education doesn’t strain household budgets further.
- Empower spouses to maintain career momentum despite frequent relocations away from degree programs.
- Acknowledge hard work balancing home, volunteer roles within military communities.
- Fuel continued learning and skills building despite disruption common to military life paths.
Accessing dedicated funding recognizes sacrifices and factors limiting traditional aid qualifications for many spouses.
Major National Scholarship Programs
Larger non-profits and professional associations offer broad eligibility:
- Military Spouse Fellowship by ING Foundation
- Sallie Mae Military Spouse Scholarship Program
- Army Emergency Relief Spouse Education Assistance Program
- Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society Education Assistance
- Air Force Aid Society General Henry H. Arnold Education Grant
- Coast Guard Mutual Assistance Scholarships
Research details thoroughly to gauge requirements and dollar amounts for degree plans.
Degree-Specific Scholarship Options
Opportunities often focus on in-demand career fields:
- National Military Family Association Allied Health Scholarships
- American Legion Scholarships for Nursing Degrees
- American Legion Auxiliary Nontraditional Student Scholarship
- AFCEA Military Spouse Education & Career Opportunities
- Society of Military Widows Education Scholarships
Matching aid to favored disciplines increases options even further.
Scholarships for Base Locations
Consider those designed with certain installations in mind:
- Scholarships 4 Military Children-Hawaii Programs
- Military Child Education Coalition-Ft Bragg Awards
- Ft Carson Education Center Spouse Tuition Assistance
- JBLM Spouse Education Assistance Program
- Camp Pendleton Education Support Grants
Geography-centric sources leverage community investment near your location.
Scholarships for Degree Levels
Some specialized opportunities exist at all education stages too:
- Army Birdies for the Brave Undergraduate Scholarships
- Military Family Research Institute’s MA/PhD Awards
- National Military Family Association Graduate Studies
- Sponsors for Educational Opportunity Vocational Scholarships
Tailor searches to your unique schooling point from certifications to advanced degrees.
Additional Military Spouse Support
Non-scholarship resources empower educational goals as well:
- MyCAA Program (Career Advancement Accounts)
- Military OneSource Education Counseling
- GoArmyEd Tuition Assistance & MOU Schools
- Navy College Program Distance Learning Agreement
- Spouse Tuition Assistance (STA) Reimbursements
Tap into every available option by coordinating all related benefits strategically.
How to Find the Best Army Spouse Scholarship Fit
Follow these steps to maximize funding potential:
- Set clear short & long-term educational objectives while accounting for PCS moves.
- Research options matching your specific career focus, degree level, and location criteria.
- Carefully review deadlines, eligibility rules, required documents for each applicant pool.
- Highlight relevant experiences through compelling personal statements and recommendations.
- Submit applications early allowing sufficient processing time before semesters begin.
- Follow up regularly and connect with local education centers for ongoing advising support.
Thorough prep work helps identify the best-fit scholarship source.
Army Spouse Scholarship Application Best Practices
To improve your chances of winning:
- Proofread all materials carefully for typos or errors before submissions.
- Emphasize what makes you a unique candidate beyond basic eligibility.
- Showcase achievements navigating military life challenges with positivity.
- Request early feedback from reviewers on strengthening future applications.
- Send prompt thank you notes following interviews for personal touches.
- Ask recommenders to highlight specific academic/professional qualifications.
- Relay appreciation publicly for award sponsors on social media if selected.
Small details optimize presenting your army family experience authentically.
By leveraging this extensive catalog of army spouse scholarship opportunities, dedicated military partners and dedicated non-profit funding, spouses gain empowering options to achieve education and career goals on their own terms. Pursuing all available resources sustainably builds pathways of opportunity despite challenges. Now you feel ready to start your own personalized application journey – best of luck!